curated by Yves de Brabander & Eric LeRouge
Berlin – September 7 to 16, 2023
opening Thursday Sep 7 - 18:00
Our exhibition, Desire provides a thought-provoking exploration of sexual orientations, gender expressions, and the profound influence of desire on our identities and relationships. We celebrate the diverse spectrum of desire and sexuality while challenging traditional perspectives, ultimately aiming to foster a more inclusive and accepting society.
Drawing inspiration from Michel Foucault's examination of the fluidity of desire, our exhibition seeks to challenge the binary model of gender and embrace a more nuanced understanding of identity. We acknowledge that desire transcends fixed categories and instead acts as a dynamic force that influences how we perceive ourselves and engage with others.
We aim to challenge traditional notions of desire and sexuality, as well as to highlight the importance of sex positivity in creating a more inclusive and diverse society. We reflect on the progress that has been made in terms of reducing discrimination based on sexuality, race, and gender, and the work that still needs to be done to create a truly inclusive and accepting society.
What made this evolution happen?
Was it a change in cultural norms or a more accepting attitude towards diversity?
Or did it come about through a greater understanding of our own desires and the desire for the unknown?
°° Participating artists (alphabetic)
°° Thursday September 7
• Vernissage — 18:00-23:00
• Performance by Dark Frau
°° Friday September 8
°° Saturday September 9
• Film Screening by Bruce LaBruce, Matt Lambert, Hanna Schaich & Mathieu Morel — 19:00
°° Sunday September 10
• City walk "Berlin's History of Sex" by Jeff Mannes — 11:00-15:00 — RSVP here
• Artist's Talk with all the artists — 17:00
°° Friday September 15
• reading from the Berlin Queer Writers Circle and we.are.village book club — 19:00
°° Saturday September 16
• Finissage — 17:00
• Performance 'Blueberry Marks" spoken word by Nicky Miller
• Lecture Performance by Gio Black Peter
°° Wednesday - Friday - Saturday - Sunday
• open to the public 14:00 to 19:00
°° Tuesday + Thursday
• private viewing by appointment, 14:00 to 20:00 (+49 174 33 255 33)
instinct at we.are.village